Solar energy is the most popular of renewable energy resources. It is offer improved advantages over than traditional power sources. These alternative energy solutions that allow you generate electricity using energy from the sun.
With fuel prices soaring, the need to invest in renewable energy is greater than ever. Many homeowners have installed a home solar power system that to help them reduce monthly electricity bill, and are enjoying the benefits of using Green Energy.
However, all things have two sides. You should be aware of some solar energy facts before you make the decision to whether install solar systems. A List of advantages and disadvantages of solar energy, which can help you learn about it.
Advantages of solar energy
- Independence: Whether you want to power your home or your log cabin in the mountains, PV systems will allow you to be fully independent of the power grid.
- Zero fuel costs: Because PV cells generate electricity directly from the sunlight there are no costs connected to purchasing or transporting fuel.
- Reliability: Even in less optimal weather, solar systems still guarantee power provision. Moreover, if you choose to install a system with battery storage you can even use the electricity generated by it during nighttime.
- Low maintenance: Once you create and install a solar panel there is hardly anything left for you to do to ensure its proper functioning except maybe to take off any leaves that might have fallen or give it a quick wipe to get the dust off.
- Durability: Most of The panels today come with a 20 to 25 years warranty and even the older types of modules show no degradation after as much as 10 years of use.
- No pollution: As we discussed earlier, photovoltaic systems produce clean reliable energy. By directly tapping into the best renewable energy source available sun, and generate no pollution to the environment. However, because PV systems operate silently and with minimal or no movement, they also do not generate any sound pollution. This may be one of the greatest advantages of employing this particular type of renewable energy system. Just imagine having something to making constant noise on your roof.
- Safety: Since they do not require the use of combustible fuels, solar electricity systems are extremely safe if properly constructed and installed.
- Modularity: You can start your PV panel collection with one panel and add more incrementally. Therefore, once you build and install your PV panels they don’t wear out, don’t go away and you can add to them.
- Altitude consideration: contrary to the loss in efficiency that a fossil fuel generator has in high altitudes, Photovoltaic (PV) systems operate with more efficiency because of the increased insolation at higher altitudes.
- Flexibility: Depending on your needs, solar system can be configured in many different ways.
All these advantages speak in favor of the solar power systems; however, there are some of the disadvantages. Fortunately, these can easily be overcome or lessened; it just needed a little bit of ingenuity.
Solar Energy Disadvantages
- The main disadvantage of solar energy is the Initial cost: One of the reasons why more and more people are looking in DIY solar electric system is because a commercial 3KW system – cost about $22,000! Although the rebates and incentives from the local governments and state, will help you reduce those costs, it is still expensive to have. But over time, as solar becomes a more popular energy that using for more families, the system price will begin to fall.
- Energy efficiency: to ensure cost-effectiveness, you might need to replace any inefficient appliances.
- Solar radiation variability: weather greatly affects the power output of a solar system and changes in site conditions may require a change in design.
As you can see, that advantages of solar energy are far more than it disadvantages. Using green energy source for heating or lighting can result significant cost savings. Either way, you can reduce your power bill by heating water and generating power through it.
Having all these pros and cons of solar energy in mind, I still believe that the scale tips in favor of solar energy.
Nevertheless, do not let my personal opinion influence you. Is solar energy right for you? Take some time to weigh out the benefits and drawbacks of solar energy.
Learn How to Convert Your Home to Solar Energy – click here!You might like: